San Choi Bao
Looking for a quick and easy meal – give these Thai Lettuce Cups a try!
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
• 50g rice vermicelli noodles
• 1 1/2 teaspoons cornflour
• 2 tablespoons water
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 small (75g) carrot, peeled, cut into matchstick-size strips
• ½ red capsicum, sliced into matchstick-size strips
• 1 stalk celery, sliced into matchstick-size strips
• 4 cm piece (20g) fresh ginger, peeled, finely chopped
• 3 cloves garlic, crushed
• 1 (14g) fresh loose long red chilli, finely chopped (optional)
• 400g lean chicken mince
• 1 1/2 tablespoons salt reduced oyster sauce
• 1 1/2 tablespoons salt reduced fish sauce
• 40g fresh bean sprouts
• 12 cos lettuce leaves (about 1/2 lettuce)
• 1/2 lime, cut into 4 thin wedge
• Fresh coriander
• Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add in the vermicelli
and cook, stirring often, for about 1-2 mins or until barely tender.
• Drain and rinse under cold water until cooled.
• Stir the cornflour and 2 tablespoons water in a small bowl to blend.
• Heat a wok or large heavy-based non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the
oil, then add the carrot, capsicum, celery, ginger, garlic, and chilli and cook for about 1
• Add the mince and cook, breaking it up with a spoon until almost cooked.
• Stir in the oyster sauce, fish sauce, and cornflour mixture.
• Cook for about 1-2 mins to allow the flavours to blend and the sauce to simmer and
thicken slightly. Fold in the bean sprouts.
• Divide the vermicelli among the lettuce cups.
• Add the mince mixture.
• Garnish with the coriander, and serve with the lime wedges.
Download the recipe card PDF.ThaiLettuceCups